Summer is right around the corner, which means it’s time for barbecues, picnics, and fun in the sun. While summer usually means vacations, there is no vacation from fire safety. Each year, grill fires cause about $37 million in property damage. Most of the fires happen between May and August.
Individuals can protect families and property by following a few grilling safety tips:
- Only use grills outdoors, away from siding and deck railings.
- Clean grills often and remove grease or fat build-up.
- Make sure the gas grill lid is open before lighting.
- Have a three foot safe-zone around grills and campfires. Keep kids and pets clear of the area.
- Dispose of coals after they have cooled in a metal can.
- Never leave grills, fire pits, and patio torches unattended.