Governor Declares State of Emergency - Water Advisory!


State of Emergency

01-10-14 @ 20:25AM

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin today issued the following statement regarding the current State of Emergency in Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam, and Roane counties.

The State of Emergency remains in the affected counties.  The Governor dispatched the state’s Department of Environmental Protection to Freedom Industries yesterday, ordering it to halt further leaching of the particular chemical into the river. 

Our emergency response team has worked to develop a testing protocol and a sampling plan on the chemical at issue.  Initial samples have been taken, and additional sampling and testing will continue throughout the situation.

The sampling plan is a coordinated effort with West Virginia American Water Company and the state Bureau of Public Health, and our emergency responders. This process will take time, but we continue to work quickly to provide information related to the ability to lift the “do not use” ordered by West Virginia American Water Company.

Also overnight, water supplies have been relocated and have begun to be distributed to affected areas. Please call your local emergency service office to locate the closest distribution point for your area.  Continue to refrain from using the water for drinking, cooking, cleaning, bathing and washing. Do not boil this water or use it to supply oxygen machines.

Our efforts will continue until we have a resolution. Our main focus continues to center around our hospitals, nursing homes and those most vulnerable.
I will continue to keep our citizens updated as we gather additional information.

Getting Assistance

Water Emergency

Please contact your local emergency managment office to determine where water distribution points are located in your county.

Phone Numbers to Refer Citizens with Water Questions


Boone County –  304 369-9913

Cabell County – 304 743-5391

Clay County – 304 587-2019

Jackson County – 304 373-2208  or 304 372-2000

Kanawha County – 304 744-6843

Lincoln County – 304 824-3443

Logan County – 304 752-7662 or 304 752-8817

Putnam County – 304 586-0246

Roane County – 304 927-0911